Sunday 25 June 2017

Examining and Not Examining - Three Albums

Trio Unexamined Because of Examining

I am currently GCSE examining [and any searches on this site around this time over the past years will find similar announcements] and thus I have little time to review music, though I do listen when I can.

There are three, however, I simply want to recommend:

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound


His third brilliant solo, and stand-out tracks are White Man's World and Anxiety

Steve Earle & The Dukes - So You Wannabe an Outlaw


The usual mix of fine, signature spit and polish - a wonderful tribute to his great friend Guy Clark, Goodbye Michelangelo

Justin Townes Earle - Kids In The Street


Americana but a number of fine Country tracks

White Man's World lyrics:

I'm a white man living in a white man's world
Under our roof is a baby girl
I thought this world could be her's one day
But her momma knew better

I'm a white man living in a white man's town
Want to take a shot of cocaine and burn it down
Momma wants to change that Nashville sound
But they're never gonna let her

There's no such thing as someone else's war
Your creature comforts aren't the only things worth fighting for
If you're still breathing, it's not too late
We're all carrying one big burden, sharing one fate

I'm a white man living on a white man's street
I've got the bones of the red man under my feet
The highway runs through their burial grounds
Past the oceans of cotton

I'm a white man looking in a black man's eyes
Wishing I'd never been one of the guys
We pretended not to hear another white man's joke
Oh, the times ain't forgotten

There's no such thing as someone else's war
Your creature comforts aren't the only things worth fighting for
You're still breathing, it's not too late
We're all carrying one big burden, sharing one fate

I'm a white man living in a white man's nation
I think the man upstairs must'a took a vacation
I still have faith, but I don't know why
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment