Saturday 5 March 2016

Bonnie Raitt - Dig in Deep, album review



Shakin' and Slidin'

There’s the blues, of course, as late night empathised and as funked-up slide as Raitt can and will always deliver, slick licks throughout, but for me it is the beautiful minor-key numbers that affect the most, as with opener All Alone With Something to Say. And having been so lulled to its smooth groove, next Gypsy in Me asserts an upbeat sass, the slide and background organ huffs and twirls funking, as I have said. I Knew and Undone provide more of the gentle blues balladry, with closer You’ve Changed My Mind a reflective, poetic lament, beautifully sung.

For shakers and movers, there’s the INXS cover I Need You Tonight, superbly blues appropriated whilst retaining its late 80s groove, the Los Lobos cover Shakin’ Shakin’ Shakes with slidin’ slidin’ slides, and The Comin Round is Going Through to rock the blues away.



No comments:

Post a Comment