Sunday 16 February 2014

Ike & Tina Turner - Outta Season [1969]



Deleted Opinion

Apart from the brilliant R&B opener I’ve Been Loving You Too Long, the rest of the tracks on this 1969 album are brilliant blues numbers. In writing recently of Lynn Carey’s great vocal I invoked the great vocal of Janis Joplin, citing her as the always obvious rock’n’blues template, and then you listen to an album like this and remember that Turner too has got to be on a vocal par with the best.

This isn’t an album I know well but listening today I was immediately struck by Tina Turner’s excellence throughout. I was therefore surprised to read this album dismissed in the allmusic review of it - the site I usually turn to for background information and generally astute opinion - the nameless reviewer of Outta Season stating the album has since been deleted, and deservedly so. I usually respect differing opinion as it is just opinion, but this seems absurd.


The one ballad on the album is the song I Am A Motherless Child – attributed alternatively to Ike or Tina as writers depending on where you search – but this too exemplifies the beauty as well as strength of Turner’s vocal range, and hardly a song to be consigned to opinionated deletion. 

1 comment: