Sunday 18 August 2013

Eastbound Jesus - Northern Rock



 A Lesson In Language

Eastbound Jesus are like Old Crow Medicine Show without the tenacious twang, more Americana then which is where I could have started but that is so quick and easy I thought I’d at least get an alliteration in the naming. But it’s not just for semantic show, EJ do like their banjo – in fact I think this is the thread that sews all their songs to Country/Bluegrass roots, but the actual route they’ve taken musically is Rock as well, which I guess takes us back to the shorthand of Americana.

Other clues are in the song titles: Out Yonder [vernacular]; Waitin’ On The Sun; Sittin’ By The River [it’s in the contractions]; My Old Pickup Truck [vehicular content - though I think linguistic continuity should have had the adjective as Ol’].

And this is, I know, a self-indulgent tease before revealing that the music, and whole album, is superb, if you like this sort of thing, so the naming and genre generalising do have a purpose. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to all eleven tracks and having enjoyed their playing and musicality I need to listen again to the storytelling which is also generic but nonetheless fully engaging. Talkin’ To John About The Weather is brightly indicative of the whole caboodle: banjo and some pedal setting the tone, and a narrative that seems plausible – talkin’ to John that is – and the cleverness is in the lyrical ruse that allows Eastbound Jesus to sing about themselves and their songwriting muse.

An all-round excellent album.

Ol' pickup truck I presume

No comments:

Post a Comment