Monday 28 January 2013

Threadbare Fables - Ian Seed, [Like This Press]

Foreplay

I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey - no I haven't - and I don't have to as it has been quoted or broadcast enough in the media for me to have picked up a strong dose of its content, but I bet it isn't as sexy as the following:


And now that I have aroused your interest with this piece of poetic foreplay, my serious point on the sensuality of writing is how Ian Seed's opening vignette in his excellent Threadbare Fables appeals not  because of its sexual suggestiveness but because of the humour that takes us further into its possibilities.

The prose-poem fables in this immediately accessible and engaging pamphlet remind me of Matthew Sweeney's absurd and surreal poetic strorytelling. What I like about Seed's is how his too deal in mystery and unknowing, and though suggesting so much they never define or finalise. They are a wonderfully 'easy' read, and by this I mean you can cover them all quickly - if you wish: you might want to speculate and ponder after each indivdual tale - but they then stick with you, like images swiftly seen but leaving a strong impression, and you instinctively imagine afterwards and for some time resolutions or even reasons for what preceded their events.

There are a few recurring themes/ideas - a dieing/dead father; taking an unexpected route - but overall there is a breadth of genuinely imaginative yet brisk stroytelling.

The pamphlet is simply but beautifully produced by likethispress with hand torn cover and insert paper and individually hand-stamped lettering. Threadbare Fables can be purchased for only £4 [if there are any remaining] at http://www.likethispress.co.uk/publications/ianseed

1 comment:

  1. 50 Shades of Grey isn't remotely sexy - as you have already surmised! This, however, is and for all the other reasons you have mentioned,it sounds like an interesting read. I may have to procure a copy for my perusal. (Ofsted has obviously affected my brain and made me sound rather Victorian here. Oh well...)

    ReplyDelete