Friday 14 December 2012

Jeff Beck and Joss Stone, 13th December, 2012, Mama Stone's, Exeter



All Awed Up

Seeing Joss Stone in a small local venue [her mother’s club in Exeter] is an absolute treat, and I will say more on this in a moment. But to also see Jeff Beck there – that is an overdose of icing to kill with its high octane guitar sweetness. Indeed, after the first few Beck numbers I asked the stranger standing at my side to pinch me. And he did.


Having never seen Hendrix live, and doubting I will get the chance to see Clapton and/or Page, the opportunity to see guitar-god Beck – surely he is on a par with that illustrious company – was, as Joss Stone herself put it, an incredible Christmas present. Performing at Mama Stone’s in Exeter, a capacity of 270, was a further part of the gift wrapping. I assumed that being mum’s venue, it would be a Joss Stone gig with Beck taking some cameo roles, probably playing a few of the well-known duets he has done with JS like You Put a Spell on Me [which they did]. But that was going to be enough. Bountiful in fact.


Yet it was the reverse. This was a Jeff Beck gig with Joss Stone joining for two wonderful sets. Beck arrived on his own with band and began by playing four numbers, all sublime and idiosyncratic: his is the most jazz-oriented slant of the great rock guitarists, and his ‘overdrive’ sound is mainlined straight to the aural veins in such a small venue and when you are standing directly in front of the PA. Jeff told the audience ‘I was never going to play these again’ [meaning songs], but said it was such a great band that he had to. He was so right. 


Joss Stone then joined, having walked through the crowd, and she had a simple elegance to her appearance that reflects, it seems to me, the mature place she now occupies as a vocalist. I have been consistent in my praise of her: recently, one of the few positive contributors to SuperHeavy, and producing a superb last album Soul Sessions Volume 2, reviewed here in July. We aren’t particularly good in this country at celebrating talent – the American fawning over early Joss Stone would appear to have skewed her focus and sense of self for a while, but at least they hooped and hollered about her – and on last night’s performance I would say we have a singer of genuine worth to treasure and celebrate. Beck clearly rates her, and their partnership has such an easy but also dynamic empathy.

Every Beck number and every Beck/Stone number was a highlight. In selecting the brightest beacon, I’ll go for the duet on Hendrix’s Little Wing, a song Stone confessed to only discovering and learning the night before – and for which she apologised – a fact confirmed I think by her calling it Little Wings. As I said in my previous quick posting on this gig, my photos taken on the night are all naff, but my video clips are OK and I did get a snippet of this. Beautiful.

A final comment on Jeff Beck as a performer. I have read observations like this before, but he has the most unassuming and genuinely modest persona for someone who has earned his status as a guitar great. His rapport with and obvious support for the individual talents of the band last night was a joy to observe. He is proactive in giving them moments to shine, genuinely enjoys those moments, and encourages the audience to register similar. At one point Beck introduced a John McLaughlin number [can’t recall the title] and his praise of JM with the aside that ‘he never makes the top polls’ – or words to that effect – said it all: shining a light on those around or other than him, when his own is the brightest.

8 comments:

  1. Who were the band members?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am annoyed with myself that I didn't get their names - wrapped up in the playing. Josh Stone's band? Certainly not the band Beck has been touring with, but superb. All three excellent: bass, drums, keyboards. I've actually searched online today but couldn't confirm any names. If I do find out I will post here in comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it was Jonathan Joseph on drums , Pete Iannacone on bass and Ray Angry on keys. Jonathan Joseph is the husband of Wendy ,Joss' mum and the owner of Mamastones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very jealous! I was free that night and would love to have seen JB. Could've done without squawking old overrated JS though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks 'first' Anon., you are absolutely correct about the band. I thought it might be JJ on drums, but wasn't sure, and I've looked online to confirm others [though you seem to be in the know] and those 3 were the absolutely excellent band. Pete I. was fascinating to watch: apart from his superb bass playing, he had a puppy-dog caught in headlights set of eyes. This may be his natural gaze/feature - and there's no criticism intended at all - but I just wondered if he was understandably in awe of playing with Beck? Perhaps you would know if these three have played with him before? Anyway, never good to not name-check the band so I appreciate your input, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ,they never played before with Mr. Beck . Pete is the regular bass player in Joss' live band. He is indeed very good. Same with Ray Angry. He played with Joss in her recent tour and also he plays keys on Soul Sessions vol.2. He's a Hammond B3 "master".

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your vigilance on this strand and attention to detail about the band. Pete in particular would appear to have a playing experience to treasure for life, and the other two also, all superb. Writing a music blog is a pleasurable hobby, and I trust of interest to others, but it is also always a learning experience and I appreciate your informed contributions to that process.

      Delete
  6. 'Second' Anon., sorry you didn't make the gig, but thanks for stopping by to read the review. Each to their own when it comes to musical preferences, but had you seen JS at this gig you might have changed your opinion, even if just a tad! In the past I think she has overdone things, but that's what I meant about her increased 'maturity'. I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete