Wednesday 3 October 2012

Aerating Faces

This afternoon I have been mostly aerating the lawn - just me, my fork, an echo of Monty Don explaining it's a job I could./should be doing, and the Faces on the mp3 player.

The music is a compilation of their four great albums: First Step, Long Player, A Nod's As Good As A Wink....To A Blind Horse, and Ooh La La. I've probably done a quarter of the garden so there are plenty of songs to entertain when I continue tomorrow.

What a brilliant rock band. Nothing complicated and a whole lot of fun. Rod Stewart is without doubt one of the great rock vocalists, whatever crooning he now pursues. Ronnie Wood plays his sharp riffs and then there is his superb slide. And Ronnie Lane is wonderfully witty and gifted as one of the main songwriters, his singing also distinctive. No pretence, simple yet memorable songs, occasional sassy covers, and that persistent undercurrent of sheer rock'n'roll enjoyment.


2 comments:

  1. One of my top 5 bands of all time, love love love them. They have a box set called '5 guys walk into a bar.' It mops up pretty much all they ever recorded that's worth hearing.

    Stewart/Wood/Lane/MacLagan/Jones is for me, one of THE great band lineups, no weak links there. What would be some of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, '5 guys ' is a great collection. Glad you rate them so highly: too many people let Stewart's more recent efforts [and 'If you think I'm sexy...'] get in the way of his impressive history. Stellar work with Jeff Beck pre-dates the Faces, and before that he was a classy R&B exponent.

    Will have to think on other consummate bands - there are so many! Would probably need to cheat and break done into quite a range of genres!

    ReplyDelete