Sunday 23 September 2012

Skunk Anansie - Black Traffic

Dirty Pants

The NME review of this album is curt and petulant, spitting back like a teenager just chastised for leaving dirty pants on the bedroom floor: The people who made this album have an average age of 46. They need to retire. NOW.


It certainly isn’t contemporary indie crap, and Skin definitely doesn’t whisperdrawl in a fashionable affected slur. I always used to enjoy Skunk Anansie’s rowdy live shows and Skin’s authentic snarl at the inequities of life in Britain and in general, and I confess nostalgia makes me more accepting of an album that I confess isn’t doing anything new. But like the retrorock I have been celebrating here of late, this is a heavy rock sound that hasn’t altered but is reproduced now with power if not the creative range of those first few albums. How many one-off whippersnappers of today will be able to make similar claims? I know it’s cool and casual to dismiss any such aspirations, but wait until you’re a little older. Dirty pants just smell.

Opener I Will Break You is a classic pounder, second Sad Sad Sad is the radio-friendly rockpop stalwart, seventh Our Summer Kills The Sun is the gorgeous sweet song where Skin harmonises and takes her voice to its higher beautiful register, ninth This Is Not A Game is a little twee for me, but tenth Sticky Fingers In Your Honey is a reasonably rousing rant at greed. The album ends on Diving Down which is again all Skin with her rising harmonies and distinctive vocal. Yep, absolutely predictable and so 46ish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment