Wednesday 19 September 2012

Black Country Communion - Wolverhampton Civic, 5th January, 2013

FRO

I was genuinely excited at the prospect of seeing Black Country Communion playing their only gig over here for a while at Wolverhampton in January of next year - even perhaps their last live gig [suggestion of disbanding?]. For me, the real pleasure would be in seeing Joe Bonamassa. I picked this up listening to Planet Rock and went on the site today for their advanced, 'privelege' booking. But it looks like you need to be a member of their VIP Club, which is £4.99 a month with a minimum commitment of a year's subscription. I have subsequently found out that tickets, when on general sale, will be £49, £59 for standing [and I know it ain't cool, but I like to sit down and head bang these days].

Fuck that. Rock'n'roll sure as hell isn't for the masses anymore. That's a wanker banker's price. I was hoping to go with my daughter and her partner, so that's £180 just for tickets before all the other costs. Still, I expect they'll sell out the venue and those who make these decisions will feel vindicated. But just what is the demographic of the attending 'fan-base'? More disposable income than me anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, and believe it or not, Glenn Hughes has described them as a 'peoples band.' Their only headlining dates in the UK so far have been 40 quid and up.
    I'm glad I caught them at High Voltage last year, because it seems like this album will be the last. Bonamassa won't commit to a tour while his solo career is so lucrative, which is understandable, but a shame.
    It's clearly Hughes' band though, he's written 90% of the songs, why not just get a different guy in? Joe could hand pick him. The show must go on and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on. And your later message about add-on fees pushing the price up to £64 compounds the problem. I want to see Bonamassa at some stage, but don't want to pay these prices. Who would you see for this price? I'd maybe go for Clapton as I've not seen him live. I paid £50 for Pearl Jam so perhaps this picks a whole in my argument a little if it's actually about preferences. Perhaps it's because I did recently pay that for PJ I couldn't justify another big expence so soon - but BCC don't match PJ in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For £60, it would have to be a stadium or arena sized band doing a club show, for instance AC/DC at the cavern in Exeter! Can you imagine that?!

    Or, a genuine legend who may never tour again, or someone coming out of retirement for a one off. Bowie? John Fogerty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'd pay that for Bowie.

    And I'll be booking the AC/DC at the Cavern.....!

    And I obviously meant 'hole' in my argument. Standards today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And after all of that, just been announced the BCC gig has been cancelled: 'unforseen circumstances'!

    ReplyDelete