Monday 21 May 2012

Robin Gibb


Sad to hear of the news of Robin Gibb's death.

I have always been a fan of the music of the Bee Gees, and Robin's songwriting partnership with brothers Barry and Maurice is a significant part of that, as well as in the major contribution to the world of popular music this represents. Those who follow this blog will know I have a considerable fondness for harmony and ballads, and all-time favourites of mine are,

Massachusetts
Words
I've Gotta Get a Message To You
I Started a Joke
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
How Deep Is Your Love

Robin's tremulous tenor/falsetto also made a massive contribution to the enduring quality of these great songs. Various commentators today have compared Robin and his brothers' songwriting partnership with Lennon and McCartney and I'll go along with that. Even the move to Disco, and to each their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment