Tuesday 3 April 2012

No Accident

Graham Coxon - A+E

I didn't think I was going to like this. I missed out on the Blur worship, and Oasis wasn't any kind of strong alternative, nor Pulp I have to say.  Another period/genre, this Britpop, that passed me by like so much also did in that other blindspot, the 80s. My goodness I was/am particular. But I did see Coxon live and recall being very disappointed: I thought the vocals were crap. So I was expecting similar, but this latest release had such good write-ups and selling so I took a punt.

It's great. It's raw. There is a strong punk ethos throughout, and even when it is psychedelic or a little bit heavy metal and/or grunge, the punkness is still there. And whenever there is that extra production or more contemporary nuance, he/it [Coxon played all the instruments] still sounds like the Kinks - just listen to opener Advice. Of course the witticisms and preoccupations of the lyrics help. Not always the Kinks, but often enough. I think I've been listening to so much pretty music lately, or just over-familiar productionline stuff, that this rather playful and totally unpretentious set of tunes has hit the spot.

2 comments:

  1. PULP RULE. FACT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just all passed me by! But Jarvis is a legend, especially over the Michael Jackson incident!

    ReplyDelete