Saturday 3 March 2012

Fuck Altruism


Blackbirds are beginning to build their nests,
tugging at twigs in the holly hedge when I wonder
would I care if they get the rash it took me many
dumb years to learn was from trimming and tugging
there too? Others scavenge on the ground for winter’s  
dead remains and sometimes straw that’s drifted from the
rabbit’s run. Such diligence in avian instinct where ladies
still perform the bulk of their historical purl and knit.

Would I also care about the magpie’s fruitless industry in
pulling at the honeysuckle off-cuts I left long and
entwined on the ground?  I could snip this to freer lengths
so she could build that home and continue to mock me
with those ugly calls, but as no one helps me in my hard
life, they can all go to hell and join other flapping falls.

1 comment:

  1. Strong stuff! It has real fire in its belly, this one...

    ReplyDelete