Thursday 9 February 2012

Surprise Songs

Perry Mason, Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

Obviously the brilliance of this song is no surprise to metal heads and/or Sabbath sycophants, but I stopped listening to Ozzy after the fourth Black Sabbath album, and if I'm honest, I confined myself almost exclusively to their first superlative outing. Listening to Planet Rock is re-educating me in its narrow narcotic of classic rock, and I have been hearing a lot of Ozzy lately with his undeniably charismatic voice. I think I initially heard this song as a live recording at the first Ozzfest in 1996, which is stunning, especially the guitar shred. The album track played with the volume on afterburn is an explosion of metal pomp and power, thundering its neatly neanderthal riff. And as the title playfully puns, I have absorbed it fully. Spliffing.


No comments:

Post a Comment