Friday 24 February 2012

PFPR

Green Grass and High Tides, Outlaws - Outlaws [The Outlaws 1975]

Heard this track on Planet Rock tonight, and that extended two-guitar jam is amazing and must have been so much fun to play, as it was and still is when closing their past and present live shows.

Here's another band and song I didn't really know at the time - what the hell was I doing? As I posted the other day regarding Firefall, I don't understand how it's possible I missed out on such country harmony [and/or West Coast] sound at the very time I would have lapped it up with such enthusiasm. I mean I do now, but I would have revelled in it back then, especially the guitar romp. Would have drivelled. And drooled. Even tonight it woke me from my nap......

I didn't know of the Outlaws until some time in the 80s when a work colleague recorded for me me a cassette copy of Springsteen's Nebraska and put an Outlaws' lp on the other side [not this debut album]. And tonight when I heard Green Grass and High Tides on the radio I went to search for my cd copy - but then remembered I recently acquired an Outlaws album - and yes, this is the one, playing now [for the second time] on this track. Loud. Just into the first solos as I type. A taster before the lengthy and rousing closer. The song isn't about marijuana as often thought but instead about rock and roll luminaries from Janis Joplin to Jimi Hendrix.

In that interconnectivity that likes to surprise, two days ago I was playing a more recently purchased vinyl, The Rolling Stones' big hits [high tide and green grass], the title after which Hughie Thomasson named his song. Far out.

No comments:

Post a Comment