Wednesday 29 February 2012

Pete Brown

High Flying Electric Bird

High flying bird, I don’t hear the last for me
High flying bird, I don’t know the rest of it
Into the dark where electric wings spark you into life
Sketches of night, a first to fade away,
Stretches of light, growings to grid the day,
Into the waves where submarine slaves kiss you into life
Flying over the mountains of lust,
Blowing over the weddings of dust
Into the dark where electric wings spark you into life
High flying bird, I don’t hear the rest for me
High flying bird, the sky’s where I need to be
Into the grin where electric eyes spin you into life
Sounds of the day,  smash themselves into dreams,
Somewhere I lay, are tears running down my beams
Into the sun where the silver wings run themselves into ground...

I found this extract/transcription of most of the lyrics from this beautiful song I referenced in my previous post. I tried to transcribe the rest, but it is so difficult to pick out what Brown is actually singing - and I suspect some of the above is guesswork [though it sounds accurate in most cases as you listen....]. But this certainly captures the poetry of the song, and Brown's artfulness.

I couldn't find the full lyrics anywhere; finding his poetry is difficult too. There's one copy on amazon - in the States - but it's ex-libraray, so I haven't decided.

But you can listen to the song here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBH-vxCxM00 and maybe you are better at hearing the lyrics than me.....

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for posting these

    Here is what I manage to hear.

    High flying bird, ah-don't leave the last for me
    High flying bird, I don’t know the rest will be
    Into the dark where electric wings spark you into life
    Sketches of night are first to fade away,
    Stretches of light grow wings to greet the day,
    Into the waves where submarine slaves kiss you into life
    Flying over the mountains of rust,
    Blowing over the wearings of dust
    Into the dark where electric wings spark you into life

    High flying bird, ah don’t leave the last for me
    High flying bird, the sky’s where I need to be
    Into the green where electric eyes spin you into life
    Sounds of the day smash themselves into dreams
    Sun where we lay, are tears running down the beams
    Into the sun where the silver wings run themselves into ground...
    Flying over the minds of god might
    Blowing over the bottles of night
    Into the green where electric eyes spin you into life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to offer this up. I haven't listened again - and will - but it is a fascinating comparison between what you and I hear! I'm sure there are those who would argue that the 'correct' version is whatever the listener hears, and I can accept some of that, but I'm not sure this was Brown's intention. Again, glad you cared enough to reply. Take care.

    ReplyDelete