Thursday 6 January 2011

And I might cheat now and then


John Martyn - Couldn't Love You More

I can't be sure I listened to John Martyn today, but it's very likely and I think I did briefly in the car. The cd I have there at the moment is 'Couldn't Love You More'. I will inevitably include music I didn't technically listen to on any given day because I just can't be sure. And I can do what I like.

Apparently, die-hard Martyn fans wouldn't listen to this with an aural barge pole, and I am his biggest fan, ever since discovering 'Bless the Weather' and seeing him play at Essex University in Colchester back in the day. This album contains session tapes for the recording of 'No Little Boy', John Martyn's approved reworking and recording of his songs. He didn't want this Permanent release released and that should be enough for fans to support by ignoring it. For me, it is just another precious example of his work and so I am not so fussy, and there are some great tracks on it, especially those where his voice is the Martynesque slur of sublime distinctiveness. Sure, 'May You Never' is over-produced and naff, but listen to 'One World' - listen to any recording obviously - but it is wonderful here. It is one of my favourites.

Now my family think it's funny and I'm strange/peculiar/weird for having so many 'favourites'. I have thousands and think that is perfectly viable and sensible and privileged. In fact, I have tens of thousands of favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment